There's been a lot of talk lately about NHL expansion and the overriding opinion is that the NHL will expand by 2 teams in the next couple of years. Several cities are always mentioned in these speculative talks -- Hamilton, Winnipeg, Kansas City, Houston and Las Vegas. It seems that everyone has forgotten an obvious choice: Minneapolis, Minnesota. I offer the following reasons:
1. The Wild currently play in St. Paul, population 275,000 and have sold out every game. Minneapolis has a population of 372,000. Surely they'd sell out all the time as well.
2. A great rivalry would be born. I'd maybe start a new blog called "Battle of Minnesota".
3. The drive to the arena for me would be cut in half from 40 minutes to about 20 minutes.
4. Think of the great possible nicknames -- The Wild 2: Across the River, Minneapolis Frozen Nuts, etc...
5. The team could play at the Mall of America and offer a free Cinnabon with every ticket purchased. You could go ride the rollercoaster and buy a new pair of shoes during the period intermissions.
That's all I've got; give it some thought.