From what I can tell there are currently 7 players (including Sean Hill) that will be on the team come October 4. Here's how I'd rank them:
1. Brent Burns -- made terrific strides last year, although still very young. And the fact that he beat up Corey Perry doesn't hurt his ranking either.
2. Kim Johnsson -- talent-wise he's got to fit in at this spot. He's clearly got the tools to be very good offensive defenseman, we just need to see it more. Huge disappointment last year.
3. Sean Hill -- it speaks volumes about the team's defensive corps that he's ranked this high. He's already the most physical player on the team and he hasn't played a minute yet.
4. Keith Carney -- steady as a rock. Good for 15 solid minutes.
5. Nick Schultz -- still developing, but will never be a top 2 defenseman in this league.
6. Martin Skoula -- not as bad as everyone makes him out, but not the type of player you lock up long term, like DR did.
7. Petteri Nummelin -- great on the PP and in shootouts, but worthless 5 on 5.
Maybe Shawn Belle or Andre Lakos will make the roster. I like Belle's potential to be a presence on the blueline for years to come.
Update 8/3: How could I forget Kurtis Foster? I guess I'd put him No. 5.5.