I've added a new feature to the blog, the Marian Gaborik Trade Index. On a scale of 1 to 10 this indicates the likelihood that he'll be traded in the next week, with 10 being a lock.
In any event, I'm back again and have these random thoughts about the first few weeks of the hockey season:
- Great start by the Wild, although against not exactly the best competition. A win is a win, but games against Boston, Florida, Tampa and Atlanta aren't the best of measuring sticks for this team.
- Mikko has taken the next step, this much is clear. Koivu is the team leader, their best player and will be the face of the franchise after #10 leaves.
- That brings me to Marian. I'm not sure who to believe on this one. One side's saying they're offering him a Top 5 salary and the other side's says that's not true. All I know is that (a) they should offer him around $8.0m over 6 years and (b) trade his Slovak ass if he turns it down. Get an established center, a high-level prospect and a 1st rounder.
- Backstrom solid. Enough said.
- Terhaar and Greenlay still suck and may be the worst tandem in professional hockey. Would it be so bad to have Kevin Gorg be the analyst? He's a great hockey mind.
- 2 assists for Boogey? More ice time, Jacques.