On this Thanksgiving it's time to give thanks for the Greatest Teams in National Hockey League history:
(1) 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers ~ finished first in the NHL with a 49-20-11 record on their way to winning a 2nd straight Stanley Cup. The team, led by Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri and Mark Messier were just beginning their dominance. Could score at will.
(2) 1967-68 Montreal Canadiens ~ finished with a 42-22-10 record and dominated the Stanley Cup playoffs. This team was stacked with several future hall-of-famers.
(3) 1925-26 Montreal Maroons ~ the great team of the first half of the 20th Century. Led by superstar Nels Stewart, this team was solid, top to bottom and revolutionized the game by deivising the 2-2-1 "Coolidge Trap".
(4) 2011-12 Minnesota Wild ~ it's not a stretch to assume this 13-5-3 team will be parading the Cup down Kellogg Boulevard come next June. With it's unique blend of veteran scoring savants (Heatley, Koivu and Setoguchi) and promising young defensemen (Spurgeon and Scandella) this squad may rise in my rankings. Stay tuned.
(5) 1981-82 New York Islanders ~ nice team. Finished 54-16-10 and won the Cup.