Hope for Better Coffee

Warning: this is another bad analogy post. You accept all responsibilities by continuing to read.

I have worked for the same company for nearly 20 years now and the only consistent thing about it is the awful coffee I drink every day. It tastes terrible and seems to have no discernable effect on making more alert. But yet I continue to drink it, morning after morning in hopes that someday it will change. Complaints have led to changes. Management has tried switching coffee providers, used new coffee machines and even introduced filtered water to see if it would make the product taste any better. No difference. Hopes are raised and then dashed. No matter what we do, the coffee still sucks. You can probably see where I am going with this.

For nearly 15 years, the Minnesota Wild has struggled to score goals. Coaches, owners, general managers and players have come and gone, yet the team cannot score goals on a regular basis. Sure, Marian Gaborik was a dynamic player, but even here he had issues. Players who cannot score here go on to other teams and become offensive threats. They bring in the mighty Zach Parise and despite his unrelenting efforts, his line is failing.

What exactly is the issue? I wish I knew. Is there something in the water in St. Paul that makes good players allergic to putting the puck in the net? All I know is that after decades of drinking piss-like coffee at work, I continue to drink it. Why? Because tomorrow it might be good.

Bill Peterson / / hockey