Kneejerk

To be fair, I fully admit I am a kneejerk reactionary blogger.  I was one of the first to call for Jacques Lemaire’s head, I hated the Mikko Koivu draft pick the first two years when he was in the Finnish Coast Guard and I thought “Good Will Hunting” was the greatest movie ever when I first saw it.  As it turns out I was wrong on all three accounts, but I’d still put GWH in my Top 10.

That being said, after the first few games of the season I was ready to release Mikael Granlund.  Ok, not release him, but send him back to Houston for some seasoning.  He looked over his head in the NHL and was coughing up the puck at the most inopportune times.  He looked like my 13 year old son playing with the bantams…not ready for the show yet.

Granlund played better Wednesday night against the Blackhawks.  Sure, he was still guilty of a few turnovers, but I thought he played his best game of the season.  It just goes to show you that a few games does not a season make.

For now, I am saying keep him around a little longer and if after 10-15 games he still looks overmatched, send him to Houston and recall Charlie Coyle.  Coyle is exactly the type of big forward we need on that second line.

Paul Mont / / hockey