June 3, 2014

Viewing Guide for the Final

I'll try and be honest here, for the most part.  Since the Minnesota Wild were dispatched by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2nd round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, my interest in watching the NHL has waned a bit.  I found myself drifting past NBCSN and watching a lot of Anthony Bourdain and reruns of the $10,000 Pyramid.  Side note:  Nipsy Russell was a Pyramid machine!

But now that the Final is upon us, it is a good time to point out some things Wild fans should consider when watching the series:
  • The provincial part of me would like to see Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan hoist the Cup and bring it back to the Twin Cities this summer.  Then again, they both played for Bucky, so screw them.
  • Would it be ok to cheer for Marian Gaborik?  Not sure how I feel about this one, the guy did spurn the local club for the bright lights of NYC.  Still, I find myself rooting for the guy.
  • Watch Drew Doughty whenever he is on the ice.  He has elevated his normally good game to an elite level.  Best skater on the ice in the last series with Chicago.
  • Test yourself and try not to get too bothered by the idiotic mutterings of Pierre McGuire.  If it helps, remember that the Wild almost hired him as GM instead of Chuck Fletcher.
  • Take a closer look at Henrik Lundquist's game.  I contend he is merely a very good goaltender playing in a fantastic defensive system as opposed to a surefire hall of famer.  His sparkling good looks clearly give the national media an inflated image of his talent.  Don't get me wrong, he's very good, I just don't think he's elite.
  • It's hard not to cheer for Dominic Moore or Martin St. Louis.  Having said that, remember the Rangers also play Daniel Carcillo quite a bit.
  • Get a six pack of Indeed Brewing's Midnight Ryder.  Good stuff.
There you go; enjoy the series!